The name 'Whisstocks' is synonymous with Woodbridge, as from 1926 until 1991, the Whisstocks Boatyard operated on the site. Purchased by Claude Whisstock, the boatyard remained in family hands until 1984 before closing in 1991. A brief history of boatyard can be found on the Woodbridge Riverside Trust website
After falling into disrepair the once derelict boatyard has now been transformed, with the development of 15 apartments, 3 shops, a Chandlery restaurant building, new Heritage Building, Community Boat Shed and public open space, giving the site a modern makeover.
Woodbridge Town Council own the Heritage Building and Community Boat Shed, and lease them to the Woodbridge Museum Trust and Woodbridge Riverside Trust, to allow the residents and visitors alike to enjoy the beautiful surroundings of the Tide Mill and River Deben. The public open space, known as Whisstocks Place, is also owned and managed by the Town Council.