Home > About Us > Complaints Procedure

Complaints Procedure

We aim to ensure that you receive the best possible services at all times from the Council.   One of the best ways to do this is to listen to what customers have to say about the services.   If we have gone wrong it is important that you tell us, so that we can put right any faults quickly.   The below section explains how the Complaints Procedure works.

What is a Complaint?

The Council has defined a complaint as:

When a member of the public is not happy with something the council, or an Officer of the Council, has either done, failed to do, or done in an unacceptable way.

Who Can Complain?

Anyone using any of our services can complain, either in person, through a third party, or through a Councillor, MP or Euro MP whose constituency covers the Town.   We will accept anonymous complaints but this can make it difficult to use to take further action.

How Do I Complain?

Stage 1:

You can make your complaint in writing, by telephone, or email or in person.

Tell the Town Clerk/Office Staff what you are unhappy about and, if possible, we will take steps to sort things out there and then.   Please note the name of the member of staff you deal with as this will help if you need to contact us again.

If we cannot sort out your complain straight away, the Town Clerk will send you a reply in writing within 15 working days, or let you know when you can expect a reply.

If you are not happy with the way we have dealt with your complaint, you may ask for it to be reviewed.   SEE STAGE 2.

Stage 2:

The Town Clerk will investigate your complaint.   We will aim to reply to you in writing 15 working days, or if this is not possible, we will tell you when you can expect a reply.

Stage 3:

If you are still not satisfied with your reply, you may ask for details of your complaint to be passed to the Town mayor who will arrange for an independent review of the case and will reply to you within 15 working days of receiving your complaint.

What if I'm Still Dissatisfied?

If you are still unhappy after going through the Councils Complaints Procedure, you can take your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman.   Details of how to contact the Ombudsman will be sent to you at an appropriate stage in the Complaints Procedure-these are also available from the Local Citizens Advice Bureau.

For more information about the Council's Complaints Procedure, please write to:

The Town Clerk
Shire Hall
Market Hill
IP12 4LP

Email the Town Clerk