Home > Weddings > Guidance for those wishing to marry

Guidance for those wishing to marry at the Shire Hall

Arrangements must be made with BOTH the Superintendent Registrars Office at 26a Quayside, Woodbridge, IP12 1BH and the Approved Premise to book the wedding venue and ceremony.    
Without the presence of the Superintendent Registrar and a Registrar there can be no marriage and any arrangements for the use of the premises depend entirely on their availability. It is therefore essential that the couple make an advance booking with the Superintendent Registrar for attendance at the Approved Premises as soon as can be accepted. A fee for this attendance will be payable before the ceremony.  

The couple will also have to give notice of marriage to the Superintendent Registrar(s) of the district(s) in which they live. This notice must be given in person by them both and is valid for twelve months. The couple should therefore attend the Registrar’s office where they live as soon as possible after notice can be given.  

When notice is given in a different registration district from the one where the marriage is taking place, the couple will have to collect the authority before the ceremony and ensure that it is delivered to the Registrar who is to attend the ceremony.

The couple should be warned that any arrangements made for a marriage to take place on the approved premises are dependent on:-  

(a) The attendance of the Superintendent Registrar and a Registrar for the district in which the premises are situated  


(b) The issue of the authority or authorities for marriage by the Superintendent Registrar(s) to whom notice of marriage was given.  

Only civil, non-religious ceremonies can be permitted by the Superintendent Registrar. Any music, reading, works or performance which form any part of the ceremony must be secular. The content of the ceremony must be agreed in advance with the Superintendent Registrar who will be attending the ceremony.

Any rights of copyright for music, readings etc. permitted at the ceremony are a matter for the couple and the holder of the approval.

How to contact the Registrar

Click on the link below for details about contacting the Melton registrars who will perform your ceremony at the Shire Hall